A browser hijack is a malware program that modifies a user’s web browser settings without their permission and redirects the user to websites that they had not intended to visit. These websites are usually malicious.
FAQs about Browser Hijacking
How can a browser hijack affect my computer or device?
Here are the common symptoms of a browser hijack:
- Constant redirects to unwanted websites
- Pop-up advertisements and alerts
- Slow loading of web pages
- Appearance of multiple web browser toolbars that you did not install yourself
What do I do if my browser is hijacked?
Here are ways you can treat and avoid browser hijacking:
- Update your operating system and browsers.
- Avoid clicking suspicious links.
- Be careful when downloading software.
- Install antivirus software.