How to fix a black screen on Ignite TV or Ignite SmartStream
Trying to watch Ignite TVTM or Ignite SmartStream but only seeing a black screen? There are a few potential reasons for this. Try these troubleshooting steps in sequence to solve the problem.
Step 1: Double-check that your TV is plugged in and turned on
It seems obvious, but it’s a common mistake with modern TVs!
Step 2: Make sure your Ignite TV/SmartStream Box and Voice Remote are functioning properly
If your Ignite TV/SmartStream Box is on, there will be a white light on its front edge.
If you don’t see the white light, try the following steps:
- Press the Power button on your Voice Remote to see if it turns on. If this doesn’t work, check that the LED at the top of your Voice Remote is lighting up when you press any button. If it’s not, it’s time to replace the batteries. Do this and try again before continuing.
- Make sure the power cord is tightly connected to the Ignite TV/ SmartStream Box and the power outlet on your wall. Note: When possible, avoid power bars and wall outlets controlled by light switches as these tend to get turned off. If you must use these, check that they’re turned on.
- Try plugging your Ignite TV/SmartStream Box into a different power outlet. If it turns on now, it means there’s something wrong with the original outlet. We suggest you contact a local electrician to repair the outlet.
- Refresh your Ignite TV/SmartStream Box via MyRogers to try to force it to restart and turn on.
- Sign in to MyRogers.
- From the “Overview” section, select TV.
- Select Refresh your Ignite TV Box(es).
Step 3: Check the HDMI cable
Check the HDMI cable connecting your Ignite TV/SmartStream Box to the TV to make sure both ends are tightly connected.
Step 4: Try a different input
The TV may be on the wrong input. Using the TV Input button on your Rogers Voice Remote or the Input/Source button on your TV remote, try toggling through each of the input options to see if one of them works.
Tip: The best way to make sure your TV is on the correct input is to follow the HDMI cable from the Rogers Ignite TV/SmartStream box to the back of your TV and take note of the input it’s physically connected to.
Once you know exactly to which input the Ignite TV/SmartStream box is connected (e.g., HDMI2), you can then use the TV Input button on your remote to switch your TV to that corresponding input.
Note: If you’re trying different inputs but your TV display doesn’t show any indication of the inputs changing, there may be something wrong with your TV’s display or your TV is off or unplugged.
Step 5: Remove any third-party equipment between the Ignite TV/SmartStream Box and your TV
If you currently have any third-party equipment, like speakers or sound systems connected between your Ignite TV/SmartStream Box and your TV, try removing it so that your TV and Box are directly connected. This will rule out any issues that may be caused by extra equipment.
Step 6: Restart your Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem
Restarting your Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem is a simple way to resolve various technical difficulties. You can restart the modem quickly and easily from anywhere using the Ignite WiFi Hub app or by unplugging the modem for 15 seconds.
Still having issues?
If none of the above troubleshooting steps work, contact Technical Support and we’ll help you out.