How Apple iCloud Private Relay May Impact Ignite WiFi Hub Features
Apple's iOS 15, iPad OS 15, and macOS Monterey operating system updates allow paid iCloud+ subscribers to turn on a new Internet privacy service called iCloud Private Relay.
Certain Ignite WiFi Hub features available for customers with Ignite WiFi Gateway modems – including Advanced Security, Parental Controls, and Active Time Details – won't work on Apple devices which have this service enabled, and other Ignite WiFi Hub activity reporting features may no longer provide the same level of device detail.
The Ignite WiFi Hub experience when iCloud Private Relay is enabled is comparable to what happens when a virtual private network (VPN) is used by a device. However, note that iCloud Private Relay is not a VPN.
How It May Affect You
If you don’t subscribe to iCloud+ on your Apple ID, the feature is not available. So, you won’t see any changes to how the Ignite WiFi Hub app behaves for your devices.
If you do subscribe to iCloud+, the feature is turned off in iOS 15, iPad OS 15, and macOS Monterey by default. This means you won’t see any changes to how the Ignite WiFi Hub app behaves for your devices unless you choose to turn it on.
If you choose to turn it on for an Apple device, Ignite WiFi Hub features – including Advanced Security, Parental Controls and Active Time Details - won’t work or will be limited. This is because the feature is designed to limit the information available to third parties – including Rogers – while that device is accessing the network. This prevents us from doing things like blocking age inappropriate, suspicious or malware hosting websites when you choose to use those Ignite WiFi Hub features.
Also note that when iCloud Private Relay is turned on accessing content on the Internet may become slower. This is because the service conceals your location and your Internet service provider. As a result, content distributed today by Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) and/or is delivered via direct network interconnection paths into the Rogers network may be delivered by more distant and less well-connected content servers.
What to Do?
If you wish to continue using your Ignite WiFi Hub features, here’s how to turn off iCloud Private Relay:
In iOS 15 / iPad OS 15
- Open Settings.
- Select your Apple ID at the top of the list of settings.
- Select iCloud.
- Select Private Relay. This will have Off or On beside it to show the current state. You don’t need to do anything if it already says Off. If you do not subscribe to iCloud+, it will only say Upgrade beside Private Relay. You don’t need to turn the feature off because it’s not available for this Apple ID until you choose to sign up for a paid iCloud+ subscription.
- Tap the toggle beside Private Relay to turn the feature off. You will be prompted to confirm. Select Turn off Private Relay to complete the deactivation process.
In macOS Monterey
- Open System Preferences.
- Select Apple ID at the top of the window.
- Select iCloud.
- Uncheck the box beside Private Relay to turn the feature off. When you do not subscribe to iCloud+, the checkbox will not be present and an Upgrade button will be beside Private Relay instead. You don’t need to turn the feature off because it’s not available for this Apple ID until you choose to sign up for a paid iCloud+ subscription.
- You will be prompted to confirm. Select Turn off Private Relay to complete the deactivation process.
When the iCloud Private Relay feature is turned on (check the above first), you can also disable this feature just for specific network connection types on your Mac by following these steps:
- Open System Preferences.
- Select Network.
- Select the connection type you want to disable to feature for. (Ex. Ethernet, Wi-Fi, …).
- Uncheck the box beside Use iCloud Private Relay to turn the feature off for that connection type. It will remain active for all others.
Need more help?
If you need more help or have additional questions, please contact us.
- How to turn on the Advanced Security feature with Ignite WiFi Hub
- FAQs about Advanced Security in Ignite WiFi Hub
- How to turn on Active Time Details on Ignite WiFi Hub
- FAQs about Active Time Details on Ignite WiFi Hub
- Turn on Parental Controls on Ignite WiFi Hub
- FAQs about Parental Controls on Ignite WiFi Hub